Monday, September 24, 2012

"The Graveyard Experiment"

I have everything I need in my car to survive for a few days. I've packed all my magical tools, food, water, tea, and camping supplies. I've done the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (bear heart style) for the day and I make my way to the graveyard. It's at dark night with clear skies overhead, and spring is nigh unto summer. You can hear the bugs chirping in the background, and an old owl guards the stones of the dead (this couldn't be more of a perfect time of year to post "the graveyard experiment" being that it's so close to Halloween). I build a small fire on the drive adjacent to the graveyard after I get my supplies out of the car. I light a few candles, steep two bags of tea that is comprised of: Eleuthero, peppermint, cinnamon, ginger, chamomile, west Indian lemongrass, licorice, catnip, and tilia flowers and sit next to the fire and contemplate femininity and its relationship to water. It's Monday(moon day) and we are in the hour of the moon and it couldn't be a more perfect time to get in touch with the goddess Diana.
Dianna (heavenly, or divine), in Roman mythology, is the goddess of the hunt, moon, and birthing. She is associated with wild animals (mainly the owl and deer), woodlands, and perceived as having the power to talk to and control animals. Oak groves were especially sacred to her, and according to mythology Diana was born with her twin brother Apollo on the island of Delos, daughter of Jupiter and Latona. According to Françoise Hélène Pairault's study,[1] historical and archaeological evidence point to the fact that both Diana of the Aventine and Diana Nemorensis were the product of the direct or indirect influence of the cult of Artemis spread by the Phoceans among the Greek towns of Campania Cuma and Capua, which in turn passed it over to the Etruscans and the Latins by the VI and V centuries BC. made up a triad with two other Roman deities: Egeria the water nymph, her servant and assistant midwife; and Virbius, the woodland god. In Ephesus she was worshiped as Diana of Ephesus in the temple Artemision which used to be one of world's seven wonders.
[2] While sitting there drinking my tea (which vibrationally corresponds to the sphere of Yesod, or the Moon on the kabballistic tree of life) and contemplating the divine feminine it starts to drizzle on me; and its very fascinating being that the goddess is associated with water and rain, as well as the astral/dream world as well as many other things. I head for the graveyard to pay my respects to the dead and take with me a candle and a walking stick. Leaving the candle in the outer court by a tombstone illuminating the face of it I enter the inner court where a very old and wise pine tree stands ever-watchful guarding the dead. Meditating under the pine tree and receiving its energy the dead tell me I should leave.
Arriving at the burning fire an owl can be heard in the distance. With my walking stick I begin to walk toward it and make my way through the field. I take my deepest breathe and with my heart I communicate with her and she tells me I may come closer. I also communicate to her that we are one and that I wish our eyes to be one making it so that she sees what I see and vice verse. I walk a bit closer and hold out my stick proclaiming the owl as being one of my familiars. "The Graveyard Experiment" Notes [1]Diana Nemorensis, déesse latine, déesse hellénisée" in Mélanges d' archéologie et d'histoire 81 1969 p. 425-471. [2]Model of Temple of Artemis, Miniatürk Park, Istanbul, Turkey [wikipedia] "The Graveyard Experiment"

No comments:

Post a Comment